Argyll & Bute Council Proposes cutting the MOST Vulnerable
As Councils prepare proposals for Budget Cuts – You now no longer need to guess where Councils want the axe to fall.
Argyll & Bute Council (run by a coalition of Conservative, Lib Dem and Independent councillors.) have released their ‘Proposals’ (Amended Information:Proposals created during an unminuted meeting. held in secret, with only 12 of 36 councils. 10 we now know – 4 SNP, 1 Conservative, 2 Independents, 3 Lib Dems- 2 names MISSING) in which the Public can pick if they want to cut vulnerable people over children, various Jobs over Additional Support Needs, Charity Funding or BASIC general waste collection services…. It is a grim read.
But it does tell you one thing:- Argyll & Bute Council genuinely think that Children, Vulnerable AND Disabled people are fair game. These are some of their ideas for cuts:-
- Reducing the budget for Disability Access
· Cutting Additional Support Needs assistants across areas by 45%
· Reduce Specialist equipment (Additional Support Needs) by 20%.
- Reduce funding by 25% for domestic abuse outreach support.
- Reduce funding for rent deposit scheme and service user involvement
- Reduce home and hospital tuition by 25% (Additional Support Needs (SEN Asst; Pupil Support Teachers; Various Therapy Support; etc)
- Withdraw services that the council is not required to provide for children under 5.
- Withdraw Early Years third sector grants and services
- Remove Early Years Change Fund used to support families
- Remove School Librarians in all Secondary Schools
- Remove NDR discretionary relief for charitable bodies
- Removal of general budget for Local Development Plan consultation/events.
- Removal of School Crossing Patrollers at all sites across Argyll and Bute.
- Removal of food waste collection within Helensburgh area.
Do NOT think you can escape by dying either-
- Increase Burial Charges by 20% over and above inflationary increase.
- Increase Cremation Charges by 20% over and above inflationary increase.
Oh and Christmas?
- Removal of Christmas lights installation, storage reducing resource hours relating to this activity.
There are a few other disgusting proposals as well-
- Move to 3 weekly collection for general waste
- Removal of food waste collection within Helensburgh area
Full Proposal is (hidden quite and difficult to find – which is the reason we are writing about this) are on the Councils Website at http://t.co/ggbHz8BKBi (incase the link mysterious fails to work – you can also get it hosted on our site at Service Choices Report – Appendix 1-1)
Over on Michael Russell’s blog (SNP), in a joint statement from himself, Brendan O’Hara and Mike McKenzie MSP, they described the proposals as:-
“a devastating and brutal set of proposals, which have been slipped out hidden away in a mass of other Council papers rather than openly presented to local people”
He is not wrong.
(his article on it is written far better than my own post. Check it out here – http://www.michaelrussellmsp.scot/2015/10/02/argyll-bute-councils-cuts-package-devastating-and-brutal-say-argyll-butes-parliamentarians/ )
The proposals are a disgrace, deliberately targeting and discriminating against communities (disabled, mental health, hospitalised children etc.) that already struggle to be heard and have had to fight for decades to even be recognised/funded in the first place.
And for those who are not disabled, don’t have children, aren’t in hospital and feel ‘quite comfortable’ and safe – YOU ARE NOT IMMUNE. You may be fit, healthy and employed TODAY – but will you and your family ALWAYS be? Statistically – it’s not likely.
READ THE FULL PROPOSAL LIST – Even if you do have immunity from the aforementioned – does your Car, Your Bin, your local Swimming Pool, your Libraries…your best mate whose job is about to be cut?
You may also be thinking – “Well I don’t even LIVE in Argyll and Bute”. No you don’t – but if Argyll and Bute Council get away with their cuts….do you REALLY believe that your own Council (under the same financial pressures) won’t try and sneak in a few of these options? If this is accepted that will ‘normalise’ yet another attack against our own people by the very people MEANT to protect them.
This is not an early stage Proposal. This is a STAGE THREE proposal. During which the first two stages involved ZERO consultation from the public. Even trying to find the minutes from the meeting announcing these attacks on core services are difficult.
Argyll & Bute Council have done this very very quietly, in the hopes of getting it passed all of us. They have not made this information easy to dig up and they have come up with these cuts without consultation. Behind Closed Doors.
Only NOW (after creating a list of cuts that will shut down charities, damage children’s education, turn off Christmas Lights, remove support for Disabled people, add extra charges to bereaved families & friends and attack the most vulnerable people in our communities) – have they bothered to ask.
But what they have presented is NOT a choice (asking the public which vital organ they want removed – is NOT A CHOICE). #NoChoiceCouncil
What they have presented to the public is NOT good enough.
The people of Argyll and Bute deserve better than this atrocity.
It will cost 1000s jobs and devastate the entire area. It WILL leave scars that will remain for generations. And what’s worse – At Stage 3 – The Councillors of Argyll and Bute KNOW this.
By now they will have seen Impact Statements from EVERY department.
They KNOW what they are trying to do.
So before you leave this page/hop over to watch cat videos on Youtube and ignore the plight of other human beings –
You could try and HELP.
- Councillors and Councils do not like negative Exposure. So make sure you let them know on Social Media what you think – twitter is @argyllandbute (https://twitter.com/argyllandbute) and facebook is https://www.facebook.com/argyllandbutecouncil
- This entire document is disgusting and we have not even shown you the full 10 pages of it. Share this article. Tweet this article – or even just tweet the actual Proposals List itself http://t.co/ggbHz8BKBi
- Should your tweets be erased – Let them know on their own website https://www.argyll-bute.gov.uk/forms/contact-us
There will be an update to this article with direct actions that you can take – Right now we’re talking to a few other people about this and seeking advice on the best way to take this forward.
 Core Services – in my opinion. Clearly not in Argyll and Bute Council’s opinion.
 Legally I should probably say that when you contact Arygll and Bute Council – Be polite, don’t swear etc. So here it is.at the bottom of a page…difficult to find, in pale grey (just like Argyll and Butes own Proposal information & public awareness notices) – >> Be Polite <<